About SBM

Under the leadership of Amadeu Cury and Paulo de Góes the Rio de Janeiro branch of the Society of American Bacteriologists (SAB) was founded in 1947 and lasted for about 20 years. It was a very active society, organizing popular meetings.

In the early 50’s, Paulo de Góes, then a full professor of Microbiology in the Pharmacy faculty at the University of Brazil, founded the Microbiology Institute of the University of Brazil. The pioneering of Paulo de Góes cannot only be measured by the creation of an Institute focused on education and research in Microbiology, but also by the publication of the 1st volume of the Annals of Microbiology in 1951, an annual publication of the institute. The strength and prestige of many researchers from the Oswaldo Cruz Institute was also fundamental.

On May 30 1955, during the 1st Symposium on the Development of Microbiology in Brazil, organized by the Rio de Janeiro branch of SAB (then lead by Prof. Milton Thiago de Mello), in Rio de Janeiro, there was a formal suggestion to the necessity of creating the Brazilian Microbiology Society – parallel to the SAB – including the creation of an annual journal that would contain all of the scientific papers in the country, including ones on Microbiology. Thus, on September 28 1956, the Brazilian Microbiology Society was founded.

In 1959 the “REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE MICROBIOLOGIA” (Brazilian Microbiology Journal) was created, an official entity of the Brazilian Microbiology Society, and its first issue, first volume, was published in January-March 1959, with 64 pages, 7 full articles, 4 notes and ample news, including the Company’s founding history and the statutes. The President of the Technical Commission, Responsible Editor and Editor was Prof. Milton Thiago de Mello.

The last issue of the Journal was published in 1963, volume 4, due to the creation of the International Centre for Microbiological Documentation in Paris, using electronic computing (IBM). However, the Rio de Janeiro SAB branch was still active, with annual elections of the board as well as scientific meetings.

In 1969, after many discussions between microbiologists from various parts of the country interested in reviving the society and counted on the the fundamental support of Prof. Amadeu Cury, then director of the Institute of Microbiology, and Laertes de Andrade, president of the SBM section of Rio de Janeiro. A committee consisting of Italo Suassuna, Ivone Rocco Suassuna, Laertes M. Andrade and Wilson Chagas Araújo convened a first national meeting of members of SBM, sponsored by CAPES and CNPq, named 1st MICROBIOLOGY JOURNEY, under the chairmanship of Amadeu Cury, on the 4th and 5th of November, 1969 at the Institute of Microbiology (UFRJ) still on the campus of Praia Vermelha, which then belonged to the State of Guanabara.

Since then, the Brazilian Microbiology Society, now based in São Paulo, has actively promoted Microbiology in the country, by holding of annual events, editing the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, offering Specialization and Improvement courses in microbiology, among other activities.

Directors 2016-2017

Carlos-Pelleschi-thumb

Presidente

Carlos Pelleschi Taborda, USP – SP

Gustavo-Henrique-thumb

Vice-presidente

Gustavo Henrique Goldmann, FCRP – SP

jorge-sampaio

1º Secretário

Jorge Luiz Mello Sampaio, FCF – USP

marcio-lourenco_130

2º Secretário

Marcio Lourenço Rodrigues, FIOCRUZ – RJ

Carla_Taddei-thumb

1º Tesoureira

Carla Taddei de Castro Neves, USP – SP

avatar-square

2º Tesoureiro

Waldir Pereira Elias Junior, IB – USP

Supervisory Board

AnaPorto

1º Membro

Ana Lucia Figueiredo Porto, UFRPE

sergio_fracalanzza

2º Membro

Sergio Eduardo Longo Fracalanzza, UFRJ

maria-giannini

3º Membro

Maria José Soares Mendes Giannini, UNESP

History

Under the leadership of Amadeu Cury and Paulo de Góes the Rio de Janeiro branch of the Society of American Bacteriologists (SAB) was founded in 1947 and lasted for about 20 years. It was a very active society, organizing popular meetings.

An important event for the creation of the Brazilian Microbiology Society was the participation and catalytic action of the Institute of Microbiology of the University of Brazil, founded in the early 1950’s by Prof. Paulo de Góes, then a full Professor of Microbiology at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Brazil in the renovated building of the former National Hospice’s dining hall. The pioneering of Paulo de Góes cannot only be measured by the creation of an Institute focused on education and research in Microbiology, but also by the publication of the 1st volume of the Annals of Microbiology in 1951, an annual publication of the institute. The strength and prestige of many researchers from the Oswaldo Cruz Institute was also fundamental.

On May 30 1955, during the 1st Symposium on the Development of Microbiology in Brazil, organized by the Rio de Janeiro branch of SAB (then lead by Prof. Milton Thiago de Mello), in Rio de Janeiro, there was a formal suggestion to the necessity of creating the Brazilian Microbiology Society – parallel to the SAB – including the creation of an annual journal that would contain all of the scientific papers in the country, including ones on Microbiology.

In 1959 the “REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE MICROBIOLOGIA” (Brazilian Microbiology Journal) was created, an official entity of the Brazilian Microbiology Society, and its first issue, first volume, was published in January-March 1959, with 64 pages, 7 full articles, 4 notes and ample news, including the Company’s founding history and the statutes. The President of the Technical Commission, Responsible Editor and Editor was Prof. Milton Thiago de Mello.

Despite the enthusiasm of the first years, the impossibility of promoting national meetings resulted in a gradual reduction in said enthusiasm and allied to that, in 1962 the International Center for Microbiological Documentation in Paris was created using electronic computing (IBM). In 1963, these two factors led to the publication of the last issue of the magazine, corresponding to its 4th volume. However, the Rio de Janeiro SAB branch was still active, with annual elections of the board as well as scientific meetings.

In 1969, after many discussions between microbiologists from various parts of the country interested in reviving the society and counted on the the fundamental support of Prof. Amadeu Cury, then director of the Institute of Microbiology, and Laertes de Andrade, president of the SBM section of Rio de Janeiro. A committee consisting of Italo Suassuna, Ivone Rocco Suassuna, Laertes M. Andrade and Wilson Chagas Araújo convened a first national meeting of members of SBM, sponsored by CAPES and CNPq, named 1st MICROBIOLOGY JOURNEY, under the chairmanship of Amadeu Cury, on the 4th and 5th of November, 1969 at the Institute of Microbiology (UFRJ) still on the campus of Praia Vermelha, which then belonged to the State of Guanabara.

Events organized by the Brazilian Microbiology Society and managers that acted in the society.